Do you want to learn or improve basic reading, writing or math skills? We hope we can help you.
We offer programs for women and men who:
- are over 18 years old
- speak and understand English
- have not gone past high school
- live in Edmonton
How to get involved
Phone or drop by The Learning Centre that is closest to you. We will talk to you about what you want to learn, show you around, and tell you about our programs.
Reading, writing and math programs
We usually work on reading, writing and math skills for everyday living and personal satisfaction. For example, some people want to read a newspaper or write letters to people. Some want to get ready for an upgrading program. And some people want to keep their minds active and learn new things.
Our programs are learner-centred. This means you choose what you want to learn and how.
Ways to learn
When you join a Learning Centre, we will match you with a learning facilitator. Your facilitator will help you plan your learning program. You can choose to learn on your own, with a tutor or with a small group. Many people choose all three ways of learning.
Facilitators work with small groups and help tutors and learners with one-to-one learning. Our tutors are volunteers who want to share their skills. Facilitators, tutors and students work together to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable.
The Learning Centre programs are part-time. You can attend one or more times a week, for two hours each time. Check the Programs page for more information about the learning groups and schedules.
What students say about the Learning Centre
- I can express myself without being judged. It’s nice to know that others are in the same boat as you.
- I’ve learned some bigger words and I can make better sentences now. It’s easier to talk to my kids.
- It brought my self-esteem up higher.
- I met new people and got to know them through their stories.
- Now I read my granddaughter a story every night and she understands me better.
Are you looking for something to read? Go to the links page.